PENNWRITERS CLASS – CREATING CREDIBLE CHARACTERS
In any story, it’s truly about the characters. The characters and their problems are what drives the plot, and gets you emotionally involved. At least they should. Author Deanna Adams will give tips on how to create protagonists that readers will believe, enjoy (even when they make them mad!), and who will take them on a journey—one they’ll remember for a long time.
Readers want, and expect, to immerse themselves into a characters’ lives, and it’s the author’s responsibility to create characters that readers can relate to, even on the most basic level.
This hands-on, interactive course will teach you how to create characters that jump off the page, get your readers to care about them and their predicaments, and who will stick in their head long after the last page.
Here is what will be covered, and what you will glean from this class:
- Create a log of personality traits and “issues” of your protagonist, antagonist and supportive characters, to refer to as you write the story.
- Draft a proposed outline, or story arc, of the MC—Main Character’s—journey, and how they will change from the beginning to the final scene. (Although it may change as you go.)
- Create believable characters through their actions, reactions, as well as their internal dialogue.
- Characters talk! Learn how to use dialogue to create tension, suspense, and move the story along.
- Study the key elements in storytelling and how Emotion keeps the reader turning pages.
Signup for Creating Credible Characters here. The course runs from October 1-20, 2018.
Deanna R. Adams is an award-winning writer, essayist, speaker, instructor, and author of both fiction and nonfiction works. Her novels include Peggy Sue Got Pregnant: A Rock ‘n’ Roll Love Story, and Scoundrels & Dreamers. Deanna’s first book, Rock ’n’ Roll and the Cleveland Connection (Kent State University Press, 2002), was a finalist for the Ohioana Award, and the ARSC Award (Association for Recorded Sound Collections) for excellence in research. Other books include Confessions of a Not-So-GoodCatholic Girl, Cleveland’s Rock and Roll Roots, and her latest, The Writer’s GPS: A Guide to Writing & Selling Your Book.
Deanna is also known as the “Book Whisperer” at the Cuyahoga County Library’s Writer’s Center. Her website at www.deannaadams.comShare this: