PRE-CONFERENCE INTENSIVE: THURSDAY, MAY 16, 2019
Half Day: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Coroners: Their history, What they do, What they see
with Erie County Coroner Lyell P. Cook
• The History of Coroners – where it all began and why
• Difference between a coroner and a medical examiner
• How to determine the circumstances, manner, and cause of death
• Unusual ways some people died
• Slide presentation of different causes of deaths, entry/exit bullet wounds, knife wounds
• How to estimate the time of death
• When and how an autopsy is performed
• Statistics on causes of death
• Procedures for collecting evidence at the scene
• Interesting cases he has worked on
Mr. Cook encourages attendees to ask lots of questions, general and specific, related to whatever book they might be working on. His presentation is packed with his extensive knowledge of the duties of a coroner and his good sense of humor.
Instructor Lyell P. Cook is the Coroner for Erie County, PA. He has overseen 6,000+ death investigations and autopsies for Erie and 13 other counties in northwestern Pennsylvania.
His office investigates all sudden and suspicious deaths and all deaths due to violence, which include suicide. Past president of Pennsylvania State Coroner’s Association, Lyell has given more
than 100 interviews, including Primetime with Diane Sawyer, BBC, Japanese National Media, and the New York Times.