RUTH M. IVORY-MOORE
Ashburn, VA 20148
Former executive EHS Counsel in Exxon Mobil Corporation’s (ExxonMobil) Environmental and Safety Law Department with excellent business acumen. Expertise includes delivering results in counseling corporation on global environmental and climate change compliance and policy matters; developing strategic approaches to achieving business objectives; managing company’s regulatory reform initiatives; directing federal and state litigation strategies on multimedia environmental matters and coordinating global environmental law matters.
• Served as chief environmental counsel for the Alaska Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and Alaska Pipeline Projects (APP). APP being the largest development project in ExxonMobil history spanned two countries, involved numerous permitting and environmental compliance and policy issues.
• Managed ExxonMobil’s handling and response to USEPA’s National Environmental Investigation Center multimedia audit of chemical plant resulting in zero enforcement action.
• Implemented optimum compliance strategy for implementation of Benzene National Emission Standards for Hazard Air Pollutants (NESHAP) regulations resulting in $3MM savings.
• Negotiated successful resolutions to multimedia enforcement cases including: Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA); Comprehensive Environmental, Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA); Clean Water Act (CWA); Clean Air Act (CAA); and Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) cases.
• Utilized alternative dispute resolution to settle multi-million dollar pre-litigation claims.
• Headed environmental transactions legal team in divestment of fuels marketing properties. Developed global transactions templates; oversaw environmental due diligence efforts; resolved State Attorneys General antitrust concerns; and obtained New York Department of Environmental Conservation support to defeat “Right-of-First Refusal” legislation.
• Achieved millions of dollars in avoided costs by devising multi-pronged corporate approach to integrate legal, science, and policy principles into advocacy and government strategies addressing complex regulatory matters resulting in federal agency revising and/or withdrawing onerous regulations.
Exxon Mobil Corporation (2000 to 2014)
Cross Media Team Lead – Fairfax, VA 2011 to 2014
Managed environmental law aspects of bet-the-company issues including integrating legal principles into advocacy strategy addressing complex regulatory matters. Coordinated Global Environmental Law Team. Counsel to Asia Pacific Environmental Coordinators’ Team.
• Managed all environmental aspects of large scale Oil and Gas Development projects.
• Advise on climate change matters in areas that include legislative and regulatory initiatives including Clean Air Act, National Environmental Policy Act, and carbon capture sequestration.
• Advised Government Relations teams on strategies for federal/state legislative and regulatory advocacy
• Engaged and assisted key trade associations in developing positions in support of ExxonMobil objectives.
• Lead counsel on developing comments on major federal and state proposed regulations laying the foundation for administrative and judicial challenges.
• Counsel to corporate natural gas and electricity issues management team supporting policies that provided for a level playing field for natural gas in consuming markets.
• Developed global environmental compliance guidance.
Transactions Coordinator and Environmental Counsel – Fairfax, VA 2008 to 2011
Lead counsel for complex regulatory issues and carbon capture sequestration (CCS). Coordinated environmental aspects of major transactions’ negotiations. Company representative to trade associations.
• Headed environmental transactions legal team to successfully transfer ownership of and environmental responsibility for divested properties to purchasers.
• Managed corporate response to jet oil product quality/toxicity inquiries, averting international litigation.
• Advised Operations Integrity Management System team to facilitate regulatory compliance assurance.
• Counseled facility audit teams; reviewed and monitored findings’ remedies.
• Developed corporate emergency/incident response guidance and training.
• Led internal investigations
• Led internal team in developing corporate principles for global engagement in CCS:
o Advised company on becoming a founding member of Australia’s Global CCS Institute;
o Advised Australia’s public affairs advocacy efforts on Gorgon project; and
o Negotiated company’s contractual obligations as a member of the North Sea Sleipner project.
Remediation and Transactional Counsel – Fairfax. VA 2006 to 2008
Lead counsel for remediation of US fuels marketing sites and major assets divestments. Managed
pre-litigation claims and major transactions. Conducted annual compliance training.
• Managed the U.S. outsourced company’s contaminated properties cleanup portfolio:
o Supervised outside counsel and paralegals. Reduced legal fees by greater than 40%.
o Resolved multi-million dollar pre-litigation claims utilizing ADR resulting in greater than 70% reduction in number of cases going to litigation.
o Obtained ExxonMobil’s release from Stockton, CA methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) litigation case.
o Prepared memoranda on applicability of various laws and regulations.
• Managed terminal asset divestments and territorial fuels marketing divestments, averted purchaser terminating deal by negotiating terms for managing product liability aspect of MTBE litigation cases.
Commercial Counsel – ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialty Company – Fairfax, VA 2004 to 2006
Counsel to the Operations Company and the Global Marketing and Sales Vice Presidents on all business matters.
• Advised supply chain management, operations, customer service and public affairs clients; tailored compliance programs to clients’ individual businesses and national accounts; drafted and negotiated global supply and services contracts;
• Counseled organization on the legal aspects of the global re-launch of lubricant product lines (including flagship Mobil 1® motor oil) to reclaim worldwide market leading position.
• Conducted compliance training (antitrust, anti-corruption, ethics, and corporate separateness).
Commercial/Environmental Counsel – ExxonMobil Chemical Company (EMCC) – Houston, TX 2000 to 2003
Counsel to EMCC Butyl Company’s President. Managed EMCC Headquarter Environmental, Health and Safety compliance and enforcement matters.
• Implemented measures to improve Headquarter’s site safety record
• Resolved environmental enforcement cases against Texas facility with USEPA Region VI.
• Advised Butyl Company management team; negotiated global sales agreements; implemented measures to address antitrust issues due to Butyl Company’s dominant market share position including developing US and European pricing strategies preventing market signaling.
• Obtained release from Florida reclamation guarantee that exceeded $28 million.
• Developed global corporate product recall protocol in response to product contamination incident.
• Managed National Environmental Investigation Center audit of chemical plant.
• Resolved weights and measures compliance issues with Secretary of Louisiana Department of Agriculture.
Other Legal Experience (Mobil Corporation)
Environmental and Lead Safety Counsel: Provided advice on compliance and enforcement matters involving CAA, CWA, release and incident reporting, crisis management, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
McDermott, Will and Emery – Visiting Litigation Associate: Served as in-house counsel for client; assisted firm partners in litigation cases; devised client training program with emphasis on release reporting and RCRA.
(Mobil Corporation’s Fairfax, VA Headquarters and Former Paulsboro, New Jersey Refinery)
Held various field engineering, technical service, planning and supervisory positions of increasing levels of responsibility.
• Provided daily process engineering support to all refinery units operations.
• Developed and negotiated environmental permitting strategies with regulatory agencies.
• Implemented strategies to assure regulatory compliance.
• Developed short-term and long-term economic strategies to maximize productivity and profitability.
• Supervised Refinery Process Engineering, Technical Service and Water Compliance groups.
• Developed Refinery Regulatory Affairs position.
Rutgers University School of Law Ohio State University Howard University
Juris Doctorate M.S. Chemical Engineering B.S. Chemical Engineering
• Legal Concerns of Carbon Capture Sequestration – National Bar Association (NBA) (2009)
• Carbon Capture Sequestration Legal Issues (ExxonMobil CLE) (2010)
• International Business Transactions Legal Issues (Beveridge & Diamond Roundtable) ( 2010)
• CCS Offshore Legal Issues (Houston Offshore Technology Conference) (2011)
• Emerging Environmental Issues (ExxonMobil CLE) (2012)
• Methane Emissions from Shale Gas: Regulation or Controversy (NBA) (2012)
• The First 48 Hours – Crisis Management and Litigation Planning (ABA) (2013)
• Greenhouse Gases: Next Major Supreme Court Environmental Decision? (NBA) (2013)
• Compliance Programs – An In-House Perspective (DRI) (2014)
Memberships and Community Involvement
• Member DC and PA Bars
• ABA member (Administrative Law, Environment, ADR, and Litigation Sections)
o Alternate Dispute Resolution Section Member
o Litigation Corporate Counsel Committee
Environmental Litigation Committee (Environmental Litigation Newsletter Emeritus)
o Climate Change, Sustainable Development, and Ecosystems Committee
Vice – chair of Social Media Subcommittee
• Diverse Partners Network Environmental Member
• Defense Research Institute (DRI) Member
• Gubernatorial appointee to Virginia Council on Recycling Measures Emeritus
• Chairman Emeritus Black Engineer of Year Awards Planning Committee
• Former ExxonMobil Black Employees Success Team (BEST) Cultural Events Committee Chairperson
• Former Coordinator of Refinery Liaison to Philadelphia Regional Introduction of Minorities to Engineering
• Former Texas Industry Project Steering Committee Member, Chair of Title V Sub-committee
• New Jersey Petroleum Council Environment Committee – Chairperson Emeritus
• Clariden School Parent Organization – Vice-President Emeritus
• Montessori Country School of Herndon – Member of Board of Trustees Emeritus
• First Baptist Church of Vienna – Director of Sunday School Children’s Division Emeritus
• Grace Temple Baptist Church Sunday School Superintendent Emeritus
• Club 2011 Co-Founder
• ABA Meditation Competition Judge
• ExxonMobil/Hunton Williams Partnership – Pro Bono Attorney for Day (Protective Order Case)
• ExxonMobil/Hunton Williams Partnership – Pro Bono Wills Clinic
• Sussex Central High School Reunion Committee President
• Heritage Fellowship Church Town Hall Meeting Committee Member
• High Point University Parents’ Council Member
• 2015 Advisor to Black Women United for Action
• Member of LinkedIn’s Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics (SCCE) Group
• 2015 Southern Virginia Teen and Young Adult Leadership Summit Chairperson
• BoardSource Member
• Patina Nation Solutions Member
• Women Impacting Public Policy (WIPP) Procurement , Energy and Environment , and Access to Capital Issue Committees Member
Type of Writing
graphic novels, new adult, articles, fiction, creative non-fiction, NF: biography, NF: Professional mags/journals, play writing, poetry, screenplay/script, inspirational/spiritual, childrens, NF: religion, mainstream/commercial, young adult, NF: health, NF: business, greeting card, NF: technical/trade, mystery, NF: reference, suspense, newspapers, NF: travel/photography, action/adventure, short stories